Hospice Training Course
Twice a year, Hospice Prince Edward offers a 30 hour Hospice Palliative Care Volunteer Training program. This training course requires a commitment of three hours a week for ten weeks. The course is required for all hospice community visiting volunteers.
This ten week course brings volunteers together for a time of learning, sharing and relationship building. The training program provides the knowledge and support that is needed to work one-on-one with hospices clients, or simply providing clients with companionship.
The Modules in the course include:
- Introduction to Hospice Care
- The Art and Skill of Sensitive Communication
- Death & Dying: Emotional and Psychological Issues
- Spiritual Issues of Death and Dying
- The Family
- Illness Associated with Hospice Palliative Care
- Infection Control
- Grief and Bereavement
- Ethical Issues in Hospice
- Rights and Responsibilities
- Care for the Care Giver
This Hospice Prince Edward Volunteer Training Manual Palliative Care and bereavement Support is approved by the Hospice and Palliative Association of Ontario.